Sunday, January 18, 2009

Progress report: Jan 18


I'm bringing it... if you consider doing nothing to be bringing it, that is.


Aside from adding gravity, I toyed around with support for diagonal tiles, but ultimately shied away from it. I'm sticking with simple blocks, and instead I'm going to build a simple terrain system to complement it.


The idea is that every x position has a minimum and maximum height, and if a character's movement deviates beyond that they will be pushed back into play. This should allow me to model flowing, natural terrain very easily, and then use tile grids to model rigid structures like buildings. Despite some big constraints, the combination of these 2 simple concepts should allow me to build some interesting worlds very quickly.


I should have a fair bit of time this week, so hopefully you'll see some progress. My goals are:


  1. Load level data from XML

  2. Add wall jumping and ledge grabbing

  3. First attempt at some real art


By the way, if anyone knows some good free software for capturing screen video footage, please let me know. I'm sure that would be much more interesting than reading this rubbish. :)

2 comments:

  1. The Art of Creating Graphics

    Whenever I have to do any computer related graphics, rather than trying to create on-screen art from scratch, I take photos of items and then cut bits from them.

    For example, you could take a photo of a textured surface, some light to dark contrasts on a wall, or the blur of a ceiling fan spinning round, etc and then crop/cut appropriate parts of the image out and save them as lower res. You can then stretch them, apply filters, transparencies... at will.

    For me, that makes a great start towards putting together some interesting graphics with some depth (as far as tiles go)

    The other option is to go for a particular style that is easy for you to reproduce. For example, South Park started as just bits of paper animated :) Very simple, but effective.

    This should be easy for someone who has just created gravity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And on the 7th day I rested. :)

    You're a funny man! Funny and wise. I think I'll dig out the camera, and see what I can see.

    ReplyDelete