Saturday, January 31, 2009

Progress report: Feb 1


One month in, and I'm still going. That's some kind of record for me. :)


I spent a lot of time trying out various art styles this week. My attempts at incorporating real photos failed, primarily because there was always a dominant artifact in each picture which ruined the effect when repeated over and over.


I've finally settled back into a simple cartoon style similar to the placeholder art I've been using until now.


The big news is that I've designed the lead character. Check him out, along with simple grass and rock tiles:






If the character looks familiar, here is why:












You don't need a single bone of artistic talent to trace. :)


I'm not sure what I'll do next week. I need to add a wall jump move, because I want to start designing levels soon and that requires knowing what the player can do. But I'm also really keen to implement NPCs, as I have some ideas to make conversations interesting and context-sensitive without requiring much work. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment